Due to the limitations of common sense, psychologists have a special respect for scientific observation, which is based on gathering empirical evidence (information gained from direct observation).
Unlike personal observation, scientific observation is systematic and inter-subjective. In other words, observations are planned and they can be confirmed by more than one observers.
As psychology is now defined as the scientific study of behavior and mental processes, what does behavior refer to in the definition of psychology?
Anything you do–eating, hanging out, sleeping, talking, or sneezing–is a behavior. So are studying, snowboarding, gambling, watching television, typing your shoelaces, wrapping presents, learning Spanish, and reading this book. Psychologists are interested in both overt and covert behaviors.
Psychology is both a science and a professional. As scientists, some psychologists do research to discover new knowledge. Others are teachers who share their knowledge with students. Still others apply psychology to solve problems in mental health, education, business, sports, law, and medicine.
The word “psychology” comes from the ancient Greek roots psyche, which means “mind”, and logos, meaning “knowledge or study.”
1. Psychology. The science that studies behavior and mental processes.
2. Psychology. The science of mental processes and behavior.
3. Psychology. The scientific study of experience and behavior. Psychology draws together systematic studies of experience and behavior using a wide range of methods, and focusing on many different angles and levels of experience.
4. Psychology. The scientific study of behavior and mental processes.
We just open English Program in our institute in this semester. General psychology is introduced as one of the required subjects for those students who major in Accounting. We hope to use this web for studying process of the subject.
Welcome to WordPress.com. After you read this, you should delete and write your own post, with a new title above. Or hit Add New on the left (of the admin dashboard) to start a fresh post.
Here are some suggestions for your first post.
- You can find new ideas for what to blog about by reading the Daily Post.
- Add PressThis to your browser. It creates a new blog post for you about any interesting page you read on the web.
- Make some changes to this page, and then hit preview on the right. You can alway preview any post or edit you before you share it to the world.